A project for adding files to a Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6 OS image.
This project is deprecated
Use CEComponentWiz nowhttp://CEComponentWiz.codeplex.com
- For Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6
- Requires Visual Studio 2005 and CE 6 Platform Builder Installed
Mike Hall, some time ago published a tool for Windows CE called CEFileWiz.
It is still available at:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mikehall/archive/2006/11/30/ce-6-0-cefilewiz.aspx
This version of the tool is a reimplementation but with a few different features.
CEContentWiz uses the same engine as CEDriverWiz http://cedriverwiz.codeplex.com/
- Creates a Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6 Subproject located under the current OS project
- You configure it to run under the Tools menu in VS as with CEDriverWiz
- Selected content (files) are copied to a folder (Resource Files) under the Subproject directory.
- Shortcuts are generated so as to be placed in a specific folder in the OS ** \Windows
- \Program Files
- The .lnk shortcut files so generated are placed in the Resources folder as well.
- This was added whilst finishing the wizard off:
- You can also use the wizard to create shortcut files for other Subprojects and place them in OS folders as above
- You just disable its BIB entry and Postlink copying (as this is all handled by the other SubProject)
- Can save the workspace and reload it for modifivcation in the wizard.
- Can select registry files and merge them into the project registry file generated by the wizard.
How it works
- You configure the application to be launched from the Tools menu.
- You run it when a CE OS project is loaded in VS, that way it knows where to put the subproject folders and files.
- You name the subproject
- You then select files: Separate Dialogs for Modules, Images, Documents, Other, Reg files
- Note that filenames with spaces will ultimately get rejected (Paths with spaces are OK)
- You then configure each file
- You set its flags
- Rules within the app restrict flags depending upon whether the file is Module or Content
- You set its shortcut location (if there is to be one) from one of five as above
- Registry files get merged into Project.reg. They can't be "BIBed and can't be shortcuts.
- No flag settings for non BIBed files
- You then generate the project
- Typical subproject files are created including:
- Bib file that includes the files and the shortcut files
- Dat file that generates the 4 folders for shortcuts and "places" them in those folders as specified
- The merged or blank reg file
- You can copy the catalog file to 3rdParty from a Wizard menu command
- You then exit the app and add the subproject to the OS project
- Or refresh the Catalog and select it under ThirdParty/Vendor (whatever vendor name you entered .. CEContentWiz is default)
- Building the subproject simply copies the files (including shortcut files) to the FlatRelease directory. The paraeter files get merged into the image config.
- Actually it just copies everything from the Resources directory.
- Alternatively if you selected it via the Catalog, just do a BuildRel and then a MakeImage.
Not included but could be:
- A batch file to recopy the resource files to the project .. Not now needed, just reload the workspace
- A CE batch file to do the work of the Dat file so that the subproject doesn't need to be in the image, whilst under developement.
- Although it is easy to create shortcuts and place them in one of 5 OS folders, it would be good to generalise this whilst keeping the simplicity.